[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 20:19:16 CET 2005

On Monday, December 19, 2005, at 10:53AM, Norm Gall <gall at spookyhill.net> wrote:

>On 19-Dec-05, at 10:43 AM, <stephenmoye at cox.net>
><stephenmoye at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I would also suggest .dtx, .idx and possibly .ind perhaps.
>>

>Do people keep these things around often? I can see the .ind and .idx
>but the .dtx?

PDF, DVI, and .tex/.ltx are interesting for their full text content, but do you really want to dump the text of all of these files into the Spotlight metadata store?  I'm afraid adding the text of any file produced by TeX will a) slow down the system when you run TeX b) increase the number of useless search results.

What useful metadata do these files have that can be pulled out?  Don't think of Spotlight as a front end for the brute force `find ~/ -type file -name "*.txt" |xargs grep 'some string'`.  What additional tags should be defined as search criteria?

-- Adam