[OS X TeX] Font problem

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Sun Dec 18 10:40:14 CET 2005

On Dec 17, 2005, at 8:53 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> P.S. If I do this with Textures, everything is perfect.
>
> GG
>
> On Dec 17, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 18.12.2005 um 01:39 schrieb George Gratzer:
>>
>>> I opened the pdf file with Illustrator and it complained that the
>>> Nimbus fonts are used so it makes a substitution, messing up the
>>> formulas....
>>
>> The LOG file does not mention any Nimbus fonts (you can see that
>> too at its end). Can programmes lie? Anyway, I'm going to bed now!
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>   Pete

To change updmap to use Adobe names for fonts instead of URW names
(v.gr., Times-Roman instead of NimbusRomNo9L) you have to

sudo  updmap-sys --setoption LW35 ADOBE

and wait for updmap to generate the map files for pdftex, etc.

(I don't use ``sudo -H updmap-sys'' because I have .map files in ~/
Library/texmf, which don't get read with -H.)

To change back to the default behavior you type

sudo  updmap-sys --setoption LW35 URWkb

Anayway, I have typeset your amsart file, opened it with Acrobat (6)
and Illustrator (11), and there are no Times or Nimbus fonts, just
Computer Modern and AMS fonts. They will get substituted, though,
unless you have CM fonts were Illustrator can find them (~/Library/
fonts/, for example*). I think the best are the TeX-Illustrator
fonts, which you can find in

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/editorsX.shtml

Nevertheless, even with these, \mid and \ldots come out wrong in
Illustrator.

Best regards,

Axel

*After installing the fonts, you have to log out and log back in or
restart.