[OS X TeX] Indexes

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Dec 16 16:03:25 CET 2005

On Friday, December 16, 2005, at 09:34 AM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Being not an undergraduate indexer, I don't really understand what
> you're saying. Maybe this is just a language problem… What I want is
> some sort of "index" (for lack of a better word)

Okay.

> where one can easily find names,

easy

> film titles,

no problem

> important terms etc. Maybe this is what you mean by concordance…

Not a problem. This last would be called a ``Keywords'' index or list.

> Of course, this can't be fully automatized, but some sort of in
> advance preparation would certainly be possible IMO.

You don't even need that. Just call out all of the important terms in
your LaTeX source with something like:

\ImportantTerm{foobar}

and define \ImportantTerm so that it formats it as desired and sticks
it in the index. Do the same for names and use define a new bibtex
citing command which both does bibtex and sticks the author names and
film titles in your index.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.