[OS X TeX] bibtex cannot find my files

Christian Jost jost at cict.fr
Thu Dec 15 15:14:33 CET 2005

>Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] bibtex cannot find my files
>From: "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:07:53 +0100
>

>Am 14.12.2005 um 16:12 schrieb Christian Jost:
>
>  > My questions are therefore
>  > a) where should I put personal .bst and .bib files for bibtex to find
>  > them?
>  > b) is there a command or configuration file that will tell me where
>  > bibtex is looking for these files?
>  >

>I think your question should be: Which bibtex am I using?
>
>Depending on that version you have these configuration files:
>
>	1) when 'which bibtex' in some shell tells you "/sw/bin/bibtex," then
>/sw/texmf.cnf is the right file, but it does not contain a setting for
>bibTeX (in that case you could try in shell «strings `which bibtex` |
>egrep -i 'bib|bst'» -- and then try to understand the output and put
>one or two rules into /sw/texmf.cnf à la those in
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf)
>
>	2) when 'which bibtex' in some shell tells you
>"/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/bibtex," then
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf contains a hint to put
>personal BIB and BST files into the trees ~/Library/texmf/bibtex,
>~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib, or ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst.
>
>It was found, if memory still serves me well, that bibtex does not
>always follow these rules. The last resort is always to put these files
>or sym-links to the them in the same directory as the TeX or LaTeX
>source ... (because it still hasn't grown to version 1.x?)
>

>3) A shorter path to success could be simply: kpsepath bib
>

>Again: you should be very careful when using two different TeX systems
>or installations. You can use them only as good as you can ride on two
>bikes (or horses or cars).
>
>--
>Greetings
>
>    Pete

Thanks for all the useful information (in
particular kpsepath). Finally, a 'texhash' did
the trick (the existence of which I had
completely forgotten).

Best, Christian.
http://cognition.ups-tlse.fr/vas-y.php?id=chj  jost at cict.fr
Christian Jost                                   (PhD, MdC)
Centre de Recherches sur la Cognition Animale
Universite Paul Sabatier, Bat IV R3
118 route de Narbonne
31062 Toulouse cedex 9, France
Tel: +33 5 61 55 64 37   Fax: +33 5 61 55 61 54