[OS X TeX] which is real math mode?

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:40:07 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:07:14 +0100, Matthew Inglis
<m.j.inglis at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

>> \begin{displaymath} puts one into a displayed math environment, like to
>> the $$ 2 + 2 = 4 $$ of Plain TeX (which should not be used in LaTeX).
>
> Why shouldn't $$...$$ be used in LaTeX? I have heard several people give
> this advice, but have always cheerfully ignored it with no obvious
> adverse consequences. Can anyone enlighten?

Besided the error checking parts there is also one fundamental difference.
In LaTeX, \[ ... \] means "this is a displayed equation, which I'll put
where the document class told me to." The fleqn option is the most
prominent example of this. $$ ... $$ is TeX's way of saying "This is a
_centered_ displayed equation. Period.*"

So basically the $$-syntax is in conflict with the LaTeX paradigm unless
you are one of those users who use the trick below but if you do that, you
should know better.

[*] TeX hackers can influence even $$ ... $$ by using \everydisplay but
don't you do it!
--
Morten