[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Dec 8 19:27:21 CET 2005

On Thursday, December 08, 2005, at 08:09AM, Gary L. Gray <gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

>On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Norm Gall wrote:
>
>> Sorry. I hadn't yet finished my morning coffee.
>
>No problem. I've been in that position many times (every day?). :-)
>
>> It is clear to me that the importer facilities in Tiger are still
>> pretty rough. There should be a straight-forward way of resetting
>> the importer look-up tables.

I think LaunchServices handles all of this, so you could possibly nuke the LS cache(s) in /Library/Caches and reboot to reset.  There is nothing for adding/removing individual importers, though; when testing and importer, you have to trash the old one, empty the trash, then copy the new one into place (or if it's in an application bundle, move it elsewhere on disk to force LS to update its cache and load the new one).

>> I think Adam is right: wait for it. There is something goofy about
>> the way in which the importer list updates itself. Perhaps you have
>> in the past installed an importer that is interfering.
>>
>> Last try:
>>
>> What is the output for mdimport -L?

[...]

No obvious suspects.  It's probably just some weird interaction with old Mac file type codes and UTIs (and possibly a bug that .tex file content was ever indexed in the first place).

Adam