[OS X TeX] Thank you and \textsterling sign coming out as $

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 16:31:01 CET 2005

Le 6 déc. 05 à 16:02, Vicky Lamburn a écrit :

> I had the OpenType versions of Adobe Garamond Pro and Optima, but
> could not figure out (As yet) how to install them in that format so
> I converted them to Type 1 using FontForge.

Then I'm afraid you're on your own. I have had all sort of problems,
generally related with encodings, when using FontForge. The only time
I saw FontForge working flawlessly is in the scripts that Gerben
wrote for converting the Type 1 Latin Modern fonts to Mac format
during the installation of the TeX i-Package.

There's been probably an error either during the conversion, or when
creating the LaTeX support files. Did you try to use afm2tfm, as
explained in the tutorial I once initiated, to create LY1-encoded
(aka TeX-'n-ANSI-encoded) metrics for the font, instead of using the
T1/TS1-encoded metrics created by fontinst? I have found LY1
generally much more reliable and easier to use than T1/TS1 in the past.

See <http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/fonttutorial-current.html#sec3-
tfm>. The link there to Y&Y's site is no longer valid: see <http://
www.tug.org/yandy/maketfm.htm>.

Or is it simply possible that, with the metrics you created, you used
in your LaTeX source file:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

but forgot to use:

\usepackage{textcomp}

See /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/ts1enc.def,
which defines \textsterling.

A simpler solution would be to use gtamacfonts for Optima, but that
leaves the question for Garamond unsolved. And there's XeTeX, of course.

Bruno Voisin