[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated, Easy Mac font support for PDFTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Dec 6 10:14:27 CET 2005

Hi Gerben,

thanks for this great update. Two questions though:

- Although the documentation seems to be in the right place "texdoc
gtamacfonts" does nothing for me. I get a "Can't find documentation
for `gtamacfonts'"

- Do I understand this correctly that we will never see support for
stuff like microtype for this font, or is this maybe doable in the
future?

Thanks again

simon

On 06.12.2005, at 09:16, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The TeX i-Package has been updated. It now contains support for
> several Mac fonts using the gtamacfonts package. Both LaTeX and
> ConTeXt are supported. Note: only PDFTeX (not TeX+dvips) is
> supported. PS trickery like font expansion and pstricks is not
> supported. This is all because of the formats of the fonts (truetype).
>
> Apple ships the fonts packed in socalled "font suit cases". PDFTeX
> can only use the fonts unpacked. To unpack them a tool called fondu
> can be used. There is an i-Package for fondu. If fondu is installed
> *before* TeX is installed, the TeX i-Package will automatically
> unpack the Mac fonts in the right TeX directory. Note that
> distributing the Apple fonts (packed or unpacked) is a breach of
> copyright, hence I do not distribute the fonts and nor should you.
>
> After installing fondu and TeX, you can us it like this:
>
> To use these fonts with LaTeX, put e.g. the following in your file:
>
> 	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> 	\usepackage{gtamachoefler}
>
> Such a style file will make Hoefler Text the serif (roman) text
> font and Gill Sans the sans serif font. The following basic styles
> are available:
> 	gtamacbaskerville.sty
> 	gtamacdidot.sty
> 	gtamacgeorgia.sty
> 	gtamachoefler.sty
>
> There are more. See the manual for details. For the same effect
> using ConTeXt, enter e.g.:
>
> 	\usetypescriptfile[type-gtamacfonts]
> 	\usetypescript[Hoefler][ec]
> 	\setupbodyfont[Hoefler,12pt]
>
> Support for ConTeXt is better than support for LaTeX for the simple
> reason that ConTeXt is more powerful.
>
> Example documents and a manual can be found in the texmf.gwtex/doc/
> fonts/gtamacfonts subdirectory. To get the manual you can type
> "texdoc gtamacfonts" in a Terminal window. Also check out "texdoc
> GTAHoeflerSymbols" in a Terminal window.

> PS. I expect to do one more update with this with some changes to
> the manual and such, but nothing fundamental.

Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97
8038 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson