[OS X TeX] Hi, an introduction post!

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Dec 1 01:08:23 CET 2005

Am 29.11.2005 um 00:22 schrieb Vicky Lamburn:

> http://www.lilserenity.com/FontInstall.pdf (source:
> http://www.lilserenity.com/FontInstall.tex)
>
> It will probably be revised a few times and you may find odd  bits
> that I need correcting on, it is in the very literal sense a document
> of my experiences -- some of which may well be wrong and I need
> correcting on.

Hello!

This evening I managed to read your article. Have you thought of typing
teTeX or TeXShop differently, more like the TeX 'logo?' If you look
into the teTeX manual you'll see a difference ...

Do you know that you can determine a font's supplier by pressing Cmd-i
in Finder when this font file is selected? Well, mostly at least!

Have you tried to put this line into a fontinst drv file?

	\recordtransforms{inst.recs}

When you then have another TeX file with this contents (I call it
always finstmsc.tex):

	\batchmode
	\input finstmsc.sty
	%\resetstr{PSfontsuffix}{.pfb}
	\adddriver{dvips}{inst.map}		% this line is the important one
	\input inst.recs
	\donedrivers
	\bye

and run it through TeX, what comes out? I think, it saves some working
time.

In the end, in paragraph 6, you need to make a difference between a TeX
installation based on TeX Live 2005 and later, and elder ones from
before this year! TL2005 uses 'sudo updmap-sys ...,' using updmap only
with sudo will create in your personal texmf tree files owned by root,
the super user. And these 'personal' files will be found first by tex,
dvips, dvipdfm ...

You used a few times 'Postscript' which is not correct. The word is
PostScript. Achieving so much within a few days is really remarkable!

Have you already tried the microtype package? I think most documents
look better with it!

Here is another description about making use of OpenType fonts in TeX:
http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~jowens/code/otftex_install/

--
Greetings

   Pete