[OS X TeX] Bibs and Spotlight

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Aug 31 15:50:18 CEST 2005

On 31.08.2005, at 15:43, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2005, at 23:18, Matthias Damm wrote:
>

>> Am 31.08.2005 um 00:09 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>>

>>> From MacNN <http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/30/endnote.
>>> 9.released/>:
>>>
>>> "EndNote 9 is one of the first academic tools to support
>>> Spotlight, which provides the ability to locate EndNote
>>> references as well as other files on a Mac system."
>>>

>> Well, "one of the first" is not entirely incorrect. After all,
>> there are not too many bibliographic tools on the Mac, and EndNot
>> (reportedly, I have never used it) once was a quite fine
>> application. I wouldn't really expect them to mention a probably-
>> equal, but free alternative to their product when they try to re-
>> gain some of the success the software once had ;-)
>>

> What do you mean "probably-equal?"  There's no comparison ;).

I honestly think you can say that without using any smileys or irony
signals. The way Thomson has treated their costumers, is nothing but
scandalous. What's version 9 more than a Tiger bugfix? A $99 bugix. O
yeah, we also get Spotlight support, if that isn't worth $99. And
what about Endnot 8? Another bugfix to make Endnote work again with
Word 2004. In Less than a year an Endnote user is supposed to pay
$200 without getting any significant new feature.

Sorry, I could rant about Endnote for days. Especially since it once
was a great app, back in version 4 or so...

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>