[OS X TeX] documentclass undefined

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 26 16:28:15 CEST 2005

Looking more closely, something seems to be wrong here. According to
your log file, when running latex from the command line, you seem to
be using pdfetex:

> fmtutil took awhile to run but finished successfully.  The results of
> latex x are still the same though:
>
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> (format=pdfetex 2005.8.26)  26 AUG 2005 09:29
> entering extended mode

However, according to your file fmtutil.cnf, etex, not pdfetex, is
used to build latex.fmt:

>>> tex             tex             -               tex.ini
>>> etex            etex            language.def    *etex.ini
>>> latex           etex            language.dat    *latex.ini
>>> pdftex          pdftex          language.dat    pdftex.ini
>>> pdflatex        pdfetex         language.dat    *pdflatex.ini
>>> pdfetex         pdfetex         language.def    *pdfetex.ini
>>> #!omega         omega           language.dat    omega.ini
>>> #!lambda                omega           language.dat    lambda.ini

What's even more baffling is that this ftmutil.cnf should be the
standard one:

>> $ kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

However, the content your report is different from the standard one:

tex        tex        -        tex.ini
#! aleph        aleph        -        *aleph.ini
latex        pdfetex        language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*latex.ini
etex        pdfetex        language.def    -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*etex.ini
pdftex        pdfetex        -    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdftex.ini
pdflatex    pdfetex        language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*pdflatex.ini
pdfetex        pdfetex        language.def    -translate-
file=cp227.tcx *pdfetex.ini
#! omega        omega        -    omega.ini
#! lambda        aleph        language.dat    lambda.ini

Did your edit this content yourself?

Could it be, then, that latex.fmt was created with etex and that
pdfetex cannot use it?

In case nothing works, I would recommend uninstalling TeX from i-
Installer, backup your local additions from texmf.local, erase /usr/
local/teTeX completely, then reinstall and see what happens.

Also, did you by any chance put config files inside ~/temf? I
wouldn't recommend it.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>