[OS X TeX] Unusually fast results duplicated

Nathan Dunfield dunfield at caltech.edu
Fri Aug 26 04:32:52 CEST 2005

Greben wrote:
> There is quite a bit of consistency, but there are also some
> anomalies. Jean-Christophe's systems are measured to be almost
> impossibly fast compared to others, for instance. Twice as fast as
> other systems of the same type.   That cannot be right.

I also have anomalously fast results, in line with Jean-Christophe's.
I have pretty old versions of pdflatex; perhaps thats the source of the
discrepancy?   Here's the numbers:

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz,  1GB ram,  OS 10.3.9 (First edition, stock)
7.33 real         4.96 user         2.64 sys

PowerBook G4 1Ghz, 1 GB, ram OS 10.3.9 (Titanium, last edition, stock)
14.68 real         9.26 user         4.00 sys

Typical scores for these machines have been 14-17 for the PM and 38-39
for the PB, so again at least twice as fast.   Both are using

pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11b-2.1

from the i-Package circa July 2004.

	Best,

	Nathan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>