[OS X TeX] grep with TexShop

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri Aug 26 01:33:26 CEST 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Jean-Pierre Gattuso wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I do not understand how grep works in the TexShop find window.
>
> For example, I want to remove all carriage returns in a paragraph. The
> search string is "\t" the replace string is " ". I check the box
> "regular expression", search syntax is "grep", escape character is "\"
> and scope is "selection".

As far as it goes, \t is a tab character and \n is a newline character.
  However, some Apple text files have \r as their line endings instead
of \n.

> This is more or less what I do with BBEdit. With TexShop, the sequence
> above finds "r". How do I use the grep capabilities to find invisible
> characters such as carriage return, tab etc..?

Maybe I'm using a different version of TexShop, because I don't seen
any grep options, however I was able to do a command-F and find \t and
\n characters in my document.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>