[OS X TeX] First iteration of performance results

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Aug 25 22:26:28 CEST 2005

Results: http://tug.org/texshowcase/perf.html

There is quite a bit of consistency, but there are also some
anomalies. Jean-Christophe's systems are measured to be almost
impossibly fast compared to others, for instance. Twice as fast as
other systems of the same type. That cannot be right.

If you all like this experiment, I would like to add a second round.

First, the script can be downloaded from

http://tug.org/texshowcase/tex-perf

Check the contents before running it because it is running as
administrator during the test.

The contents should be everything between the ======== lines below:

=================================
#!/bin/sh

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
do
     fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex >/dev/null
done

## Run this script by typing
##
##   sudo time ./tex-perf
##
## while in a Terminal window and in the directory where the script
resides.
## If necessary, first run
##
##   chmod +x tex-perf

I would like the following
1. Report your RAM amount as well
2. Report your pdftex version with

     pdftex --version

PS. I'll see if I can come up with a better test based on the self-
contained trip & trap tests and completely automated in an i-Package.
I like that idea, I am just lacking the time.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>