[OS X TeX] using Latexit

Jens Nöckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 25 15:59:28 CEST 2005

>> 2.  *But* I have not been able to resolve the drag and drop issue,
>> Since a typical diagram has several labels, it is inefficient to have
>> all of them saved as separate files.  Is there some basic procedure
>> I'm missing?  I assumed that you have both Latexit and Illustrator
>> open, you go to the Latexit pane with the formula displayed, you grab
>> it with the pointer and mouse, and slide it to the Illustrator
>> artboard, and let go the mouse.  Right?
> Yes, but it seems to be a bug in Illustrator. People told me that
> upgrading from Illustrrator CS to Illustrator CS 2 makes drag'n drop
> working correctly.

Did you try to drag _onto the icon_ of the application in the finder
itself? That worked for me in those cases where the other method didn't
work.
One thing that would help greatly as a workaround to missing
drag-and-drop in applications like Illustrator would be the ability to
put the LaTeXiT output onto the Cocoa Pasteboard!
Then you could press cmd-C to copy and cmd-paste to paste after
switching to the other application. As a person who intrinsically
doesn't like to use the mouse too much, I think dragging is a drag.

To put PDF on the pasteboard, you can't use the pbcopy command from the
shell (as far as I recall), but it works fine to use NSPasteboard class
as described in
/Developer/ADC Reference
Library/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Java/Classes/
NSPasteboard.html

Jens

>>  The placed object is a previously saved file from Latexit is linked
>> back from Illustrator.  That would be fine except that there would
>> have to be so many files.
> I am not sure to understand ?! Do you mean that because Illustrator
> prevents drag' n drop from working as usual, you have to drag'n drop
> many things until you can "validate" the result ? And that you would
> like all the dropped things to be automatically "grouped" as one
> LaTeXiT "object" ?
>
>> 3.  Another issue. When a Latexit file is modified, there seems to be
>> no direct way to save its new version.
>>  One is asked to save the modified file as a new document, and then
>> if the same name is used, one is asked to overwrite the old one.  Why
>> not just a "save" in the file menu, and the new replaces the old?
> It's debatable. Usually, a LaTeXiT document cannot be "saved". So, you
> suggest that I should add this possibility when the document
> represents a file... I think that it would add confusion, since
> sometimes, you could save, and sometimes, you couldn't. However, I am
> not sure that it would be so much confusion. What do people think
> about that ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>