[OS X TeX] OT: Film wheel font

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Aug 24 11:47:37 CEST 2005

On 24.08.2005, at 10:43, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 24 août 05 à 10:27, Simon Spiegel a écrit :
>

>> I realize this is OT, but I don't know where to turn to find
>> specific symbol fonts. The font sites I know wheren't really
>> helpful. I'm looking for some kind of symbol or fun font which
>> includes an old fashioned movie wheel. I've looked through many
>> symbol fonts already and didn't find anything yet.
>>

> It's not quite what you ask, but Apple Symbols has a glyph
> representing a movie projector (glyph #1096 in Character Palette,
> can be accessed in XeTeX).
>
> Webdings has also a couple of cinema-related glyphs (glyphs #149
> and above): movie projector, video projector, celluloid tapes, etc.
> Given it's in /Library/Fonts/, I would think it came with Tiger (MS
> Office fonts are installed in ~/Library/Fonts/).

Thanks, the Webdings font is already quite close. A related question:
What's the easiest way to get a single glyph of a font into a LaTeX
document? Of course with XeLaTeX I could easily include the font, but
I'm not sure yet if my final output will be XeLaTeX. Now if possible,
I want to avoid all the hassle of font converting etc. just to get
this one glyph.

What I want to do: I write my PhD in film studies. There are
screenshots, and I plan to create a CD that comes with the printed
text which includes short clip. The film wheel (or projector) symbol
is to indicate that a whole clip exist on the CD for the screenshot
printed. So I need this glyph in the caption.

I thought I could avoid setting up another font by creating a small
PDF which just includes this one glyph. This is a bit of a hack, and
unfortunately, LaTeX doesn't seem happy about \includegraphics inside
\caption I get:
! Argument of \Hy at tempa has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                 \par

The PDF gets created the way I want, but I have the errors, and
scaling the PDF doesn't work at all.

Any ideas, what's the easiest way to achieve this?

TIA

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>