[OS X TeX] OT: PDF display problems
bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Aug 15 12:08:44 CEST 2005
Le 15 août 05 à 10:25, Christian Heine a écrit :
> does anyone encounter problems displaying/printing PDFs in Tiger?
> Since upgrading I have massive troubles in Preview, TeXShop,
> BibDesk's preview and with the PDF Browser Plug-In when I open and
> print PDF files. Sometimes just images are displayed, sometimes
> just cryptic characters, sometimes just section titles, sometimes
> just text paragraphs without headings, sometimes just one specific
> font in a document is displayed, sometimes everything is fine. I
> can't reproduce it, seems to happen randomly. I have various
> screenshots on my public ftp at ftp://ftp.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pub/
> users/christian/PDFproblems in case someone wants to have a closer
> look. I have googled for this and also searched the Apple
> Discussion pages but haven't found a solution nor anyone else
> experiencing this kind of problem.
> Everything is perfectly fine using Acrobat, so it appears to have
> something to do with the native OS X pdf kit. Furthermore, this
> only happens on my G5 not on the Powerbook (also running the same
> version of Tiger).
> Any clues?
BTW, the URL seems to be <ftp://ftp.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pub/christian/
PDFproblems/>. It doesn't open in the Finder (using Connect to Server
Cmd-K), only in Fetch; moreover, the presence of the OS X
file .DS_Store in the directory confuses Fetch, so that the files
inside the directory have to be downloaded one by one.
What I got finally was:
According to these files, it seems you see missing characters: all
the characters from CMR are shown, but not those from CMTT; the other
way round, too; or hyperlinked text isn't shown.
I haven't seen the same in Tiger, but still I experienced PDF
rendering problems with it. These appeared in Preview, TeXShop,
Safari (with the built-in PDF previewing function), and also in
printed output; seems to be linked with the Cocoa PDF rendering
The problem I experience is all spaces replaced by another character:
sometimes "&", sometimes "(", etc. This is still happening now, and
apparently randomly. Vanishes when you refresh the preview (or close
the previewing window, then re-open it).
I can't see what can be done, really. Maybe reporting to Apple, and
hoping they consider it significant enough to finally fix it. But
given the bug seems random, I'm feeling pessimistic.
My only clue would be that it seems the bug shows up when I'm doing
things very fast: switching windows, entering a command, opening a
file, etc. Maybe a bad interaction with Spotlight (running in the
background every time output is produced), which would take over and
interrupt the PDF previewing flow.
Bruno Voisin--------------------- Info ---------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
& FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>
More information about the macostex-archives