[OS X TeX] $MANPATH (again??)

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 10 19:47:54 CEST 2005

> In case your OS X is Tiger, the MANPATH is set in a different way, in
> the file /usr/share/misc/man.conf, which associates a man file
> directory with a binary file directory. In your case,
>     MANPATH_MAP    /usr/local/bin        /usr/local/share/man
> The problem is that i-Installer installs man files inside
> /usr/local/man, not /usr/local/share/man (apart from TeX itself).

I fix this by creating a symbolic link from /usr/local/man to
/usr/local/share/man thus:

	cd /usr/local
	sudo ln -s share/man man

(this assumes of course that you've already emptied /usr/local/man if
it exists, and put everything in /usr/local/share/man)

After this, anything that tries to put stuff in /usr/local/man will
automagically be guided to put it in /usr/local/share/man instead.

> Another solution is to use ManOpen
> <http://www.clindberg.org/projects/ManOpen.htm>. It's a GUI man page
> visualizer, which pretty-displays and pretty-prints them. It comes
> with a CLI version called "openman", which can be invoked from
> Terminal (simply replace man by openman) and opens the man page in
> ManOpen. ManOpen includes a preference allowing man path directories
> to be specified. I'm using it all the time instead of man.

I use this too - it rocks.

Cheers,
Tony M.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>