[OS X TeX] PDF resolution redux

Ben Lings ben.lings at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 12:41:31 CEST 2005

On 8/10/05, Simon Spiegel <simon at simifilm.ch> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> there has been some discussion on the subject of the resolution of
> PDFs created by Pdftex before, but I still have a question. AFAIK
> pdftex preserves the resolution of included bitmap graphics, while
> fonts are resolution independendent. So far, so good. I'm currently
> working on my thesis and have different kind of bitmap graphics, most
> of them in quite high resolutions. My problem is that the final PDF
> ends up quite big and many pictures actually have a far deeper
> resolution than needed. My question: Can I somehow scale down all the
> included images to the same dpi, let's say that all images don't go
> over 1200dpi?

You can use the OS X ColorSync Utility. Open the PDF with this, then
create a new filter. In the details tab, select Images from the pop-up
list.  You can then choose to downsample images and to JPEG compress
them, which will reduce their size by a large amount.

Not quite what you asked for (can't specify DPI), but a step in the
right direction!

Ben

--
Ben Lings