[OS X TeX] Code folding

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Thu Aug 4 16:27:30 CEST 2005

Mark Smith wrote:

>@ 14:42 on 4.8.05, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>

>>IMO this is the biggest lack of TeXShop et al.

I devoutly pray all the god(esse)s there are that, now that Shere Khan
(spelling doubtful) has been tamed, this is what Koch is working on day
and night.

>> I use TeXShop daily
>>and for academic writing with loots of footnotes, folding would be a
>>real blessing...

More than just for footnotes.

>I have a related question:
>
>For what are people using "folding" ?
>
>Is it mainly as a navigational aid, or is it mainly for getting a view
>of structure w/o content ? Or something else ?

A bit of both.
1. Say I decide that some development was misplaced. Usually, this means
a bit more than cut and paste and it is helpful to fold away all that's
irrelevant to the changes and just keep the relevant parts separated
only by titles.
2. But, most important to me is to be able to see how the "story line"
develops. I like to look at an outline that looks like a table of
contents and then "zoom in" on this and then that particular chapter,
etc. On and on.

>some kind of additional "structural view" of the document might be as good as, or preferable to
>folding ?

Here, I don't "see" what you have in mind.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>