[OS X TeX] Filmography with BibTeX

Thomas Schröder hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Tue Apr 19 15:11:11 CEST 2005

Am 17.04.2005 um 14:27 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

> "citefull=first" results in the display of the complete filmography
> entry, including director and country which I both don't want. After
> more digging and tweaking of jurabib.bst I managed that \citetitleonly
> gives me "Full title (year)". This is already quite nice,
> unfortunately I still don't know how I can force it to only display
> the short title and no year for every additional quoatation.
>
> By default \citetitleonly gives the short title (it only gives me the
> full title now because I tweaked jurabib.bst). So I though I could use
> "citefull=first" and I tried to tweak it so that it does display what
> I want at the first time. But I failed. As I said, I'm not a
> programmer, so when I tweak the .bst file I only have a very limited
> understanding of what I'm doing. ;) I think "citefull=first" just
> automatically takes the complete bibliography entry and puts it in the
> text, so I can't alter this from the .bst file.
>
> So, I'm still searching…

I've been doing a little hacking of jurabib today, but it's very hard
to make sense of it. I kind of get what you want in several places but
not everything at the same time. I guess your safest bet would be to
succumb to doing it by hand i.e. cite the title only and then use
\nextciteshort to tell jurabib that you only want the short title for
further citations. This solution isn't as automatic as you'd like it
because you have to know when you cite a film for the first time in
your document but it's still better than having to do everything by
hand.

I've prepared 2 example files, a .tex and a .bib file:

---------

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[annote=true]{jurabib}
\begin{document}

\renewcommand*{\jbtitlefont}{\scshape}

\begin{description}

\item[First citation:] \citefield{title}{Kubrick.S:1964}

\nextciteshort{Kubrick.S:1964}

\item[Second citation:] \cite{Kubrick.S:1964}

\end{description}

\bibliography{Film}
\bibliographystyle{jurabib}

\end{document}

---------

And the the bib file:

---------
@misc{Kubrick.S:1964,
	Address = {GB},
	Author = {Kubrick, Stanley},
	Sortkey = {dr_strangelove_or},
	Title = {Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love
the Bomb},
	Annote = {(Dr. Seltsam oder Wie ich lernte, die Bombe zu lieben)},
	juraauthor = {Dr. Strangelove},
	Year = {1964}}
---------

Also, the German title is set apart in the references. Not quite what
you had in mind but better than nothing, eh?

Maybe you should get back to the author of jurabib. If he doesn't want
to put in your requests he might at least be able to tell you _where_
to hack in jurabib, so you don't get a full citation but only the
title. I figure the citation is put together from the various variables
like author, title, title-addon, address and year and there should be
some way to patch that so that only the title will be put in. But as I
said, I couldn't make too much sense of it all :-(

Best wishes, Thomas

     Ciao, Thomas

Thomas Schröder +++ hydrochlorix at gmx.net
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>