[OS X TeX] Center a "tabbing" environment

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Apr 16 17:53:36 CEST 2005

On 4/14/05 11:41 AM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> It seems the specified width is of no influence at all, and only the
> actual width of the tabbing environment is taken into account. From the
> LaTeXbook p. 218, regarding \parbox{width}{text} and
> \begin{minipage}{width} text \end{minipage}:
>
> "The list-making environments listed in Section 6.6 and the tabular
> environment may appear in "text" with the minipage environment, but not
> with the \parbox command. (If "text" consists of only a tabbing
> environment, then the width of the resulting box is the actual width of
> the longest line rather than the "width" argument.)"

Howdy,

The tabbing environment seems to work just fine within the \parbox command
although footnotes, etc., don't work (as advertised).

I wonder if some of the restrictions in \parbox were changed when the
commands were re-written to have more optional aguments. After all Lamport's
book is from 1993 while the last revision of LaTeX seems to be dated 2003.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>