[OS X TeX] Tiger & TeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 17:03:51 CEST 2005

Le 15 avr. 05, à 16:24, Herb Schulz a écrit :

> I've got my Tiger ordered through Amazon (with a mail in rebate!) but
> probably wont install it for several months and/or until 10.4.1 comes
> out.

Today I've been going rapidly through the (many) pages in Tiger's
overview at Apple's site. If you look at the technical details given in
the right sidebar of every page, it looks like Tiger has really many
tiny enhancements, not as striking as Spotlight or Dashboard but which
should make the user experience much nicer.

For example, looking only at the Security page
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security/> (nothing TeX-related
here) I've found on the sidebar three features which should really make
life easier: Certificate Assistant (a way to manage the certificates
issued by my departement's sysadmins for SSL mail authentication, such
that these certificates are at last recognized valid once and for
good), Firewall Logging (a way to know whether a system is subject to
attacks or not) and Firewall Stealth Mode (a way to remain hidden from
port scanners).

On other pages there's also PDF encryption (ie ability to create
encrypted PDF files), possibility to annotate a PDF document inside
Preview, to fill in PDF forms. As well: automatic appearance of shared
Windows printers in Printer Setup, possibility to diagnose and validate
fonts inside Font Book.

I've ordered Tiger on the evening it was announced. The only thing I
fear is going through an Archive & Install ordeal once more (I've got
over 80 applications inside /Applications, a significant proportion of
which will need to be reinstalled afterwards).

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>