[OS X TeX] Tiger & TeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 13:40:34 CEST 2005

Le 14 avr. 05, à 13:07, Alain Matthes a écrit :

> Which contributions i(PDF, Distiller....) in relation to TeX can wait
> of
> Tiger ?

I don't know, but Tiger seems to include a lot of modifications to its
Unix support <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/> which might
at some point affect TeX:

- Possibility to include CLI scripts inside Automator macros.

- New shell: ksh.

- Access to wide character datatypes, implying apparently better
support of non-Roman character sets.

- Superset of Unix permission systems: ACL.

- Modified CLI file commands (cp, mv, tar, etc.) including HFS+ support
(and hence proper handling of resource forks).

- Remappable modifier keys.

- And more.

Not that I understand what all these things are! And, of course, hoping
they are truly valuable additions, not just marketing stuff.

Yesterday I read on some news site (don't remember which one) a review
of Tiger, in which it was said most of the changes in Tiger happen
behind the scenes, enhancing stability and ease of use without being
immediately visible to the user.

Let's wait for April 29! (BTW, if you're in France and in
education/academia/research, and plan to buy through the Apple Store,
don't forget to use the Education Apple Store: price changes from 129 €
to 88.50 € for single-user license.)

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>