[OS X TeX] Tabulars

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 01:35:26 CEST 2005

Le 14 avr. 05, à 01:06, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> So, for example, you could use:
>>
>> \begin{center}
>>    \begin{tabular}{*{4}{p{3cm}}}
>>    %Row0
>>               \multicolumn{1}{c}{First semester}
>>        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Math 165}
>>        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Science 165}
>>        &    \multicolumn{1}{c}{Engl 165}
>>        \\
>>    %Row1
>>               Week 1-5
>>        &    Mathematical language necessary to discuss functions
>> qualitatively in both their analytic and graphic forms.
>>        &    Envisioning real-life situations in terms of functions.
>> Describing these situations qualitatively.
>>        &    Minimal syntax necessary to communicate. First order
>> predicate languages. Nature of a lexical definition.
>>        \\
>>    \end{tabular}
>> \end{center}
>
> i. How do I get ragged right text in columns 2, 3, and 4? Companion
> 2ed says I should do it but as I don't really understand your set up,
> I don't see where to put the command. What I tried did not work of
> course.

- Put in the preamble: \usepackage{array}

- Then replace:

	\begin{tabular}{*{4}{p{3cm}}}

by:

	\begin{tabular}{p{3cm}*{3}{>{\raggedright}p{3cm}}}

> ii. How do I make the first column narrower? I tried to get tabulary
> to do it for me but it does not like {*{4}{p{3cm}}} which would seem
> to make sense since, as far as I understand it, it puts all four
> columns at 3cm.

Replace:

	\begin{tabular}{*{4}{p{3cm}}}

by:

	\begin{tabular}{p{2cm}*{3}{p{3cm}}}

Such questions are answered in standard LaTeX manuals, especially the
LaTeX Companion for the first question and LaTeX: A Document
Preparation System for the second. They are not OS-X-specific.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>