[OS X TeX] plea for help with TeX bibliographic databases: the humanities, and unicode

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 13 22:15:18 CEST 2005

Dear Adam,

As always, thanks very much indeed for your prompt and most helpful
reply.  The kind of record I'm talking about is the following. When I
use the very convenient feature of BibDesk to paste in a citation, such
as,

@incollection{
Foucault1971,
    Author = {Foucault, Michel},
    Title = {Nietzsche, la gŽnŽalogie, lÕhistoire},
    BookTitle = {Hommage ˆ Jean Hyppolite},
    Publisher = {Presses Universitaires de France},
    Address = {Paris},
    Year = {1971} }

when pasted into BibDesk, it becomes, field by field, the following:

Foucault1971

Foucault, Michel

Nietzsche, la généalogie, l’histoire

Hommage à Jean Hyppolite

Presses Universitaires de France

1971

So I have to go in to correct all the garbled characters. I've set all
the preferences to be working in UTF-8.

I get the same results when I import the file.

I hope I'm not doing something wrong here, but I've tried many
different approaches and different settings, all with the same result.

I would like, if at all possible, to keep all my records in BibTeX in
unicode (rather than legacy LaTeX workaround formatting such as \"a)
for numerous reasons, including simply ease of use, compatibility with
other databases, and avoiding headaches when using perl regex
find/replaces on the BibTeX file.

Is there any way you can get BibDesk to work properly with all unicode
characters?

Thanks so very much,

Roger

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>