[OS X TeX] plea for help with TeX bibliographic databases: the humanities, and unicode

Norm Gall gall at spookyhill.net
Wed Apr 13 15:47:38 CEST 2005

On 12-Apr-05, at 20:44, Roger Hart wrote:

> After reading all of the very helpful and detailed responses so
> generously offered in the thread,
>
> Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner: bibliography strategy?
>
> I decided that I should revisit the problem, which I had two months
> ago given up on in complete frustration, of working with bibliographic
> databases in LaTeX, for publications in the humanities (following the
> Chicago Manual of Style), with unicode.

As a philosopher, I have to deal with lots of different styles from
dozens of different journals.

I use natbib, mcbride
(http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/wiki/ken/McBride), and BibDesk
and have no troubles with getting exactly what I want.

For reprints and translations, I just use the note field. McBride tacks
it on at the end of the bibliographic entry as it should. If you are
doing citation in footnotes rather than in-line citations, jurabib
really is what you want.

Take a look at McBride. It might just be what you want.

Cheers,
ng
--
"Come, let us go. Let us leave this festering hellhole. Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>