[OS X TeX] A question on TEXShop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 13 14:27:33 CEST 2005

On 13 apr 2005, at 14:10, Saugata Bandyopadhyay wrote:

> @book {dacorogna_nonconvex_problems_Handbook_of_differential_equations,
>     AUTHOR = {Dacorogna, Bernard},
>      TITLE = {Non convex problems of the calculus of variations and
> differential inclusions},
>    SERIES = {To appear in Stationary Partial Differential equations,
> Handbook of Differential Equations},
>     EDITOR = {Chipot, M. and Quittner, P.},
>  PUBLISHER = {North-Holland Publishing Co.},
>    ADDRESS = {Amsterdam},
> }
>
> While typesetting the  article, setting the program button in bibtex ,
> it is
> giving two warnings and I'am not getting any output (in .pdf). The two
> warnings are,
>
> 1)  can't handle both author and editor and
> 2)  year is empty.
>
> However, these problems don't appear if I use Windit on Windows. It is
> not
> working even if I give YEAR = {}.

I guess Winedt is absorbing the warning, since in most styles this
indeed results in a warning. Not specific to a Mac.

> Is there any way to deal with this problem without erasing any entries?

This is a bibtex problem, and actually depends on the bibliography
style you use. Since these are merely warnings (not errors), you could
just ignore them. The best thing to do though is to add the year (once
it is published, right now I'd add a note field: note = {in
publication} to alert readers that the book isn't quite published just
yet. According to the BibTeX manual, the year field is required in the
standard styles (precise help requires knowledge on the bst file)

According to the same manual, either the Author or Editor is required
(apparently not both. Since the Author presumably has written a single
chapter, you might want to split the entry: one for the book itself,
and include the editor here, and another entry (inbook) with a crossref
to the book itself, where the author is mentioned. There are more
examples in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/bibtex/bib/base, and the
bibtex documentation is available in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/bibtex/base/btxdoc.dvi (texdoc
btxdoc should open it for you from the command-line.

The contruction I'm hinting at is similar to this:

@inbook{dacorogna_nonconvex_problems,
    AUTHOR = {Dacorogna, Bernard},
    TITLE = {Non convex problems of the calculus of variations and
differential inclusions},
    chapter = 3,
    crossref = {Handbook_of_differential_equations}
}

@book {Handbook_of_differential_equations,
    title = {},
    booktitle = {},
    SERIES = {To appear in Stationary Partial Differential equations,
Handbook of Differential Equations},
    EDITOR = {Chipot, M. and Quittner, P.},
    PUBLISHER = {North-Holland Publishing Co.},
    ADDRESS = {Amsterdam},
}

Regards,

Maarten