[OS X TeX] [Beginner] unicode support

Marek Stepanek mstep at t-online.de
Tue Apr 12 00:43:08 CEST 2005

On 11.04.2005 13:41, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> snip
>
> Since your TeX file starts with "\documentclass" it is a LaTeX file and
> should not use tex but latex or pdflatex, as Bruno already recommended.
> And you should check with which programme you are writing the file! The
> sequence of three characters in front of \documentclass in the first
> line looks a bit strange to me ... Is that your "BOM(b)", Byte Order
> Mark? latex and pdflatex and TeXShop don't need it, provided you set
> TeXShop to edit in UTF-8.
>
>> \usepackage{ngerman}
>> \usepackage{ucs}
>> \usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage{txfonts}
>
> I'm not using Dominique Unruh's ucs package, so I probably can't be of
> great help any more. The txfonts are intended for use with the 'usual'
> Latin scripts and math. They're optimized for the text encodings OT1,
> T1, TS1, and LY1 ... You can read it yourself: 'texdoc txfontsdocA4!
>

> Since you're a beginner and obviously a Mac user: why don't you trying
> something with an universal approach to languages and scripts that
> indeed runs on Macs and Mac OS X? It's XeTeX, available as an i-Package
> to easily integrate into your teTeX installation. XeTeX seems to have
> so problems with math symbols, but as far as I read it is quite perfect
> in using scripts and using them in a specific language. Aren't there a
> dozen languages that use Cyrillic? And aren't the character
> sets/encodings always a bit specific for that language? Recent XeTeX
> 0.94 has an approach to this.
>
> Home:
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=XeTeX&
> Add-on: http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/
> eMail:  http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/
>
> XeTeX mailing list
> postmaster at tug.org
>

> OTOH it could be worth augmenting recent teTeX and i-Packages with some
> Cyrillic ...
>
> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>    Pete
>
> If you're not confused, you're not paying attention

Yes I am confused but I try to do my best :-)

Ok, thanx to all your replies ! Unfortunately nothing helps ! Some of your
hints were helpful, but my document does not 'compile' with Cyrillic
letters, with or without Byte Order Mark (BOM). Whether I am using latex or
pdflatex with the terminal, or with TeXShop nothing helps.

I am really disappointed, I really wanted to give up Microsoft Word, since
the unicode support on Macintosh in Microsoft Office is working fairly well
now. I am thinking about giving up to work with LaTeX.

But I will give a try tomorrow to XeTeX. First surprise : i-Installer does
not list XeTeX anywhere !!! So the next nightmare starts :-( I will try to
install it from the XeTeX-image.

perhaps I made a silly mistake in my .tex file ? I boiled down the document
to this one, which does not 'compile' - it is saved in BBEdit utf-8 without
BOM; line endings "unicode" (is this right ? I tried also with with "unix").

******* einladung_test.tex***************

\documentclass[paper=a4]{scrlttr2}
\usepackage{ngerman}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}
% \usepackage{graphicx}
% \usepackage[dvips]{color}
% \usepackage{fancyvrb}
% \usepackage{txfonts}

\begin{document}

\begin{letter}{XXX Konsulat\\
\\
}
\setkomavar{fromname}{Big Firma}
\setkomavar{fromaddress}{Big Boss

address

address

address
}
%\setkomavar{title}{}
\setkomavar{subject}{Einladung für Benefizkonzert 3. Mai 2005}
\opening{Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,}

Wie jedes Jahr veranstaltet text text text

Eingeladen sind wieder hochbegabte junge Kinder aus der Zentral Musikschule
Moskau und zwei begleitende Mütter:

\textbf{XXX XXX} ,
Lehrer: Prof. Gennadiy Kerentsev
date of birth XXXXX Moscow Russia, nationality Russian Federation.
Date of issue xxxx, date of expiry xxxxxx
Authority - PУВД 645

Russia, address
Россия, 109544, Москва, площадь Рогожской Заставы

\textbf{XXX XXX}  ,
date of birth XXXXX, Saratov, Russia, nationality Russian Federation.