[OS X TeX] [Newbie] Postscript header path for dvips?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Apr 11 19:34:08 CEST 2005

>To use tree-dvips I have to
>³place tree-dvips.pro in the postscript header path for dvips.²
>
>I located the file
>/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips
>
>But how do I place tree-dvips.pro in there?
>

>Thank you,
>Jonas w.

I think this is the answer to your problem:

You should have installed tree-dvips someplace in
your texmf tree.  In my installation is:

/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/latex/misc/tree-dvips

but yours may be different (I use the Fink
distribution).  Inside the tree-dvips folder
should be the file

tree-dvips91.pro

The main thing is that the path to this file
seems to be hard-coded into the tree-dvips.sty
file, so I edited mine by hand.

The relevant line is the following:

\special{header=/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/latex/misc/tree-dvips/tree-dvips91.pro}

So what you need to do is change the path of this
file to the path that your actual
tree-dvips91.pro file is.

If you have installed tree-dvips in your main
texmf tree, (as opposed to your local texmf tree)
then you will need to be superuser to do the edit.

If you don't have much experience with editors in Unix, you can simply type:

sudo open -e filename

and it will open using Textedit, which for this
amount of editing should be fine.

On a related note, if you are using trees a lot,
you might want to look into the qtree package
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/advice/latex/qtree/
which has a nice front-end for drawing trees (and
is compatible also with tree-dvips).

Feel free to contact me off the list if you have more questions.

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics                                   amunn at acm.org