[OS X TeX] Beginner: bibliography strategy?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Apr 10 17:37:35 CEST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 08:22, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> With BibDesk, you can "Open Using Filter..." on the ISI-formatted
> references and you won't have to use the command line. If you put
> the bibutils in /usr/local/bin, then just type the following in the
> Filter Shell Command field:
>
> /usr/local/bin/isi2xml | /usr/local/bin/xml2bib
>
> When you then click "Open", the utilities will filter your file and
> open the references in BibTeX format into BibDesk. It is incredibly
> cool!
>
> BibDesk even saves the recent filters used between sessions.
>
> There is a med2xml filter in the Bibutils, so this should work
> (along with xml2bib as described above).
>
> BibDesk completely rules!

:)  I agree.  For the record, IMNSHO, you're better off to load RIS/
Medline output directly into BibDesk, without using BibUtils.
ScienceDirect and others have a nasty habit of putting html into
their RIS, and BibDesk will convert it to TeX (not pretty, but it
keeps TeX from choking on it); it also converts SP and EP fields into
a proper BibTeX field.  BibUtils provides an excellent toolset, but
it's not as focused on LaTeX/BibTeX compatibility.

BibDesk recognizes RIS files with a .ris or .fcgi extension, but you
can also use the Services menu, drag-and-drop, or copy/paste directly.

-- Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>