[OS X TeX] headers and footers

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sun Apr 10 01:17:09 CEST 2005

On 10. Apr 2005, at 1:09, lichtner wrote:

> \parbox worked! Except for one little problem: I wanted the first line
> in the footer to be left justified and the second line (the date)
> right justified. I tried using \hfill on the second line but it didn't
> take effect. I am trying to mimic a msword.doc format for a conference
> proceedings, but maybe I am close enough.
> ...Peter
>
>>> I should be more precise: is there a way to put a box around a
>>> multiple
>>> line footer---it works fine with a single line using \fbox{}, but I
>>> can't get the box to work with 2 lines.
>>> ...Peter
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> The problem is that boxes can only have a single line (or a box that
>> acts
>> like a single line) inside them. The way you would have to do this is
>> to use
>> a \parbox inside the \fbox. Unfortunately, you have to set the width
>> of a
>> \parbox unless you write a macro that checks the width of the
>> individual
>> lines and makes it the width of the longest line.
>>
>> Any other (undoubtedly better!) answers? Could \vbox be used?

Hi,

try

\fbox{\parbox{\linewidth}{multiline\\\phantom{.}\hfill framebox}}

The \phantom{.} creates an invisible character with the width of a ".",
and it seems that this is necessary in order to put something at the
beginning of the new line (more or less, I guess; there are certainly
people on this list who know a lot more about the technical
details...).

It seems that \vbox creates a \parbox with width=\linewidth, so
\fbox{\vbox{multiline\\\phantom{.}\hfill framebox}}
should work just as well.

HTH,

Bernhard

__ mail bb at creativeeyes.at __ www.creativeeyes.at __
__ Phone  +43 699 12660415 __ Fax   +43 1 8775334 __
___________________ gpg key ID _ A89F09C45921020D __

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>