[OS X TeX] headers and footers

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Apr 10 00:10:39 CEST 2005

>I was wondering if some one could suggest a package for doing
>multi-line headers and footers and without producing a horizontal
>line. I tried fancyheadings but it doesn't seem to allow multiple
>lines and it produces a horizontal line at the top below the header
>which I am not able to remove.
>Thanks for any help and suggestions,
>...Peter

I use fancyhdr.  I haven't used multiline headers much, but something
like the sample below seems to do what you want.  The
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt} is responsible for removing the
rule.

Alan

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\begin{document}
\lhead{}
\chead{\emph{This is the first header line}\\This is the second header line}
\rhead{}
\lfoot{\emph{This is the first footer line}\\This is the second line}
\cfoot{}
\rfoot{\thepage}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}
\thispagestyle{fancy}
\section{Introduction}
This is a sample document with a two line header with no rule.
\end{document}

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics                                   amunn at acm.org