[OS X TeX] OT: Using FontForge to create .otf.dfont files from .pfb files

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 8 19:07:54 CEST 2005

Le 7 avr. 05, à 17:10, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> To those experienced in using FontForge to create Mac fonts:
>
> I have been using FontForge to open, then edit (modifying glyphs
> manually) and finally save in Mac format a free .pfb font (the font
> was originally in Classic LWFN PostScript format, converted to .pfb
> using t1unmac). In order to preserve the PostScript quality, I chose
> the Mac OpenType format .otf.dfont, as for the Latin Modern fonts
> installed by the TeX i-Package.
>
> The font is then used in Illustrator 10, for incorporation in a logo.
> Alas, in Illustrator every single key I type seems to be shifted one
> character: when typing A I get B, when typing B I get C, etc. This
> does not happen if I choose the Mac TrueType format .dfont, but in
> that case there is a conversion from PostScript to TrueType which, I
> imagine, inevitably means some slight loss in quality. [...]

In case some people looked at this:

The problem was solved by saving the modified font in Classic
PostScript font format, namely a FFIL TrueType screen font suitcase
(corresponding to FontForge's "True Type (Resource)" format) and a LWFN
PostScript printer font file (corresponding to FontForge's "PS Type 1
(Binary)" PFB format, converted to LWFN by t1mac), and then putting the
result in the Classic font folder, namely /System Folder/Fonts/.

That doesn't explain the behaviour observed with the .otf.dfont format,
namely a font behaving properly in Cocoa applications (Font Book,
TextEdit, etc.) but behaving erroneously in Illustrator 10 (a space on
the keyboard yielding "!" on screen and print, A yielding B, 1 yielding
2, etc., all characters being seemingly shifted by one code point
between keyboard input and Illustrator output). I tried altering every
possible option in the FontForge settings or in the "Generate Fonts..."
dialog, with no luck: only abandoning the .otf.dfont format solved the
problem. I believe this to imply a bug in either Illustrator 10 or
FontForge (or OS X), but I won't have time to investigate the issue
further.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>