[OS X TeX] Hyphenation

scheissenochmal2003 at yahoo.de scheissenochmal2003 at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 7 18:27:09 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Thomas Schröder wrote:

> In the German version "= is used for the same purpose. Therefore, I
> defined the following 2 commands in my preamble:
>
> \def\BindeStrich{"=}
> \let–=\BindeStrich
>

> There's a gotcha to this trick, though: it only
> works with the Mac or Unicode keyboard layouts, so, you'll lose some
> degree of compatibility when exchanging files with people who do not use
> a Mac or Unicode. But then,  you could always replace all "-"'s by "–"'s
> :-)

I suggest replacing all "-"s by ""="s directly in case a compatibility
issue in file exchange appears...

> And finally you'd have to load the Mac keyboard layout by typing
>
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>
> in the preamble.

Another downside of this is that it does not work with XeTeX; processing
a document using your method with XeLaTeX results in an actual en dash
("--" or "\textendash").

> HTH, Thomas

As for readibility, I think your suggestion does a good job although it
would enerve me to have all the (typographically incorrect) en dashes in
sight all the time.

Cheers,
Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>