[OS X TeX] i-Package install locations

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Apr 4 20:42:31 CEST 2005

Am 04.04.2005 um 18:55 schrieb Vinayak Vatsal:

> But is this what one is expected to do?

Certainly yes! At least for the i-Packages from the last one or two
years, I think. Whenever the tex i-Packages is installed it checks that
this path component "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"
is in either /etc/profile or in /etc/csh.login, it not is is being
added. It looks like a flaw that /usr/local/bin is not added too ...
but actually the path to the proper TeX binaries is last in the
sequence, so it's likely that /usr/local/bin is earlier in that
sequence and when new components are installed in /usr/local/bin
they're found before the elder ones!

/usr/local/bin is a usual place to install third-party-software, so it
usually *is* in the search path -- and so at least I couldn't imagine
that you never had added it!

If you add /usr/local/bin to your search in both /etc/profile and
/etc/csh.login, than do it before the TeX specific lines in a similiar
manner, i.e.:

	PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

or

	set path = ($path /usr/local/bin)