[OS X TeX] i-Package install locations

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Apr 4 09:23:55 CEST 2005

> Hi all,
>
> I recently ran in to a problem I hope somebody can help me with: I used
> i-Installer to install the LCDF Type Tools package (version 2.2) from the
> archive at TUG. It seems that i-Installer want to put the new binaries in
> usr/local/bin
>
> However, it seems that the standard TeX distribution (TL 2004 stable) has
> already installed an older version (ver 2.15) of the package in
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current, and the default search
> paths are set so that it's the older version that is found when I try to
> run the utilities from the CLI!
>
> Any idea how to fix this? It seems that /usr/local/bin has various other
> binaries in it, notably the gs package, but it's not in the path and
> cannot
> be accessed via the CLI.

You can safely add it to your PATH. Installing gs will do that for you.
But the order of the TeX and /usr/local/bin path is indeterminate, so you
still may end up with the TeX directory before the /usr/local/bin.

Here are a couple of things you can do:

- Hand edit your PATH settings:
1. Edit /etc/profile and /etc/csh.login and make sure /usr/local/bin is in
your PATH but before the TeX directory
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/. Do not put
/usr/local/bin at the absolute beginning of your PATH, just enter it
before the TeX directory.
2. Restart Terminal

- Remove the Tools from the TeX location:
1. List the contents of the LCDF Typetools package (Pkg Contents View)
2. Remove all LCDF binaries listed there from the TeX binaries location

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>