[OS X TeX] New Version of CommandCompletion.txt for TeXShop

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 30 04:55:03 CEST 2004

On 9/29/04 9:28 PM, "Will Robertson" <will at guerilla.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Herb
>
> This looks great! I'll endeavour to try these out while writing my next
> report. One question: why are you using \(...\) instead of $...$ ? My
> understanding is that the dollar sign form is more robust and
> widely-used, but I may be mistaken...
>
> Will

Howdy,

I guess mainly because it's more LaTeX-like! Actually I know that tex4ht
treats in-line equations between $...$ and \(...\) somewhat differently but
I'm, not sure why. Finally, I guess that once $$...$$ for displayed
equations turned into \[...\] I naturally went completely over to the LaTeX
way.

Naturally, you can change all the \( and \) to $. Note that "dd" and "\dd"
and the "dx..." and "\dx..." abbreviations for the Greek letters retain
their original Dollar reference style.

Is there some reason you believe that $...$ is more robust? I believe it is
more widely used because i)it is shorter/quicker to write without macros (I
have Cmd-9 and Cmd-0 tied to macros that produce \(#INS#\) and \[#INS#\]
respectively) and ii)old habits die hard. I had a hard time with the
wordiness of LaTeX for a long time since I was used to a much more terse set
of commands using a Plain TeX based set of macros that emulated the
memorandum macros (mm for short) under nroff: e.g., numbered headings were
produced with \HNx command where x=1,...,5 was the level of the heading and
the rest of the line up to a newline character was the heading (you could
expand it to more than one line by masking the newline with a comment
character, "%".).

Hope you enjoy the macros. Please let me have comments good or bad, report
bugs to me, etc.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>