[OS X TeX] Moving to OS X finally

Alexandru Scorpan ascorpan at math.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 29 22:02:38 CEST 2004

>> These are simple questions. After 5 years I'm being upgraded to a new
>> computer with System OSX. Presently I use OzTeX with Alpha as my
>> editor. Would it be best to stick with OzTeX or is there something
>> better for OSX?

On OS X you have ports of standard unix distributions of TeX, with nice
front-ends like TeXShop or iTeXMac.  That seems to be where it's at on
OS X.  I used to OzTeX myself a while ago, and switched to TeXShop
quite happily.  One advantage is that you use essentially the same
underlying machinery as linux or solaris, and thus there is a lot more
development and a lot more people to help. Another advantage is that,
since pdf is native in OS X, these front-ends happily use pdftex and
pdflatex instead of tex and latex, and thus the output is pdf instead
of dvi, ready to share with the world.

-- Alex

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>