[OS X TeX] TeX wrappers

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Wed Sep 15 13:47:47 CEST 2004

Le 15 sept. 04, à 13:06, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On 15 sep 2004, at 12:41, Jérôme Laurens wrote:
>
>> is the log file sufficient to retrieve the correct environment?
>>
>> The problem with the log file is that it cannot be parsed
>> automatically with 0% error due to its lack of syntax.
>> This can pose problems to newbies, and unfortunately, we cannot
>> expect everyone leaving sometimes the newbie TeX level...
>
> Why the log file? OK, for TeX it is the only file that will always be
> generated, but for LaTeX, the aux file contains all the information
> you need, and _it_ has a well defined structure. But for a generic
> solution, it is not an option. Parsing the TeX file itself is hard
> (too hard?), just manual intervention, and leaving he project
> file/wrapper next to the master is the best I think.

does the .aux file contain information about the fonts used?
I am not sure it always contains information about the version of the
packages used.

In fact I don't have any idea of "all information you need".

My only experience of a failure in texing an old document was due to a
change in the geometry package,
which is limited. Can we collect experiences about backwards
compatibility failures?

Then we will see what kind of information is needed to help in
resolving backwards compatibility issues.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>