[OS X TeX]

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Sep 14 09:39:38 CEST 2004

On 14 Sep 2004, at 4:54 PM, Jérôme Laurens wrote:
> IMO, the encoding information is the only one that should be available
> from the TeX file itself.
> It seems that this information is available as a universal standard
> only for UTF16 text files.
> Wait for final TeXShop to have the exact syntax to declare the
> encoding, something like
>
> %!TeX encoding = blah

Is there a way you could even eliminate the need for this line at all
if the editor looked for a \usepackage[whatever]{inputenc} line (or as
appropriate for ConTeXt, etc.) and if not then assume the file is
ascii? (I think this was suggested a while ago.)

Actually, this only works for documents that aren't XeTeX/Omega/etc
since they use UTF-8 encoding by default. But then a different piece of
information is necessary: which program the .tex file is supposed to be
run with.

Perhaps it is necessary...

Will
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>