[OS X TeX] bibtex/natbib

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 23:48:03 CEST 2004

Hi Andy,

On 13/09/2004, at 4:22 AM, Andy Doller wrote:

> Ok,  after commenting out the entire offending chapter and
> uncommenting paragraph by paragraph - Latexing and bibtexing each time
> until bibtex gave the error.  I found a stray { in a \ensuremath{}. I
> don't know why latex actually worked beyond that point, but the
> figures and equations all came out right all except for generating the
> right aux files for the chapter.

OK.
But the presence of this kind of error could have been detected sooner.

There should have been a message in the .log file to the effect:
    ... job finished at grouping level 1 ...
or somesuch.
This means that a level of bracing was not closed, or a \bgroup ...
\egroup
or  \begingroup ... \endgroup .

> Of course it was in the last half of the chapter - should have started
> there.  I had not put that chapter in the \includeonly statement in a
> long time so I don't know when I broke it, obviously before I was
> concerned about references.

Having determined that the problem lies in a specific chapter file,
make use of the  \endinput  command. Insert it successively between
paragraphs to deduce whether the error is before or after.
This is easier than commenting.

> At least I have a technique now for finding problems, just not a very
> quick one.

The  .log  file (or console window) has relevant information,
and  \endinput  is extremely useful in this kind of situation.

Of course this hasn't yet explained why the .aux file didn't
have parts of the bibliography information.
It could be that the  \aftergroup  primitive command is being
used to delay an action until the appropriate group has closed.
If that group never closes, then the action will not be performed.
Thus the need to correctly balance all grouping levels.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>