[OS X TeX] TeXShop's %& ugly bug

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Sep 11 09:18:40 CEST 2004

On 11 Sep 2004, at 4:13 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> No, technically you're right. And what I think is good about the tex
> wrapper as proposed now by Jérôme, is that it is _less_ ambitous:
> Keynote stores all its files (including the master-source file) in the
> wrapper. If you do that for tex, you will have a problem, since tex is
> so versatile, you can never take care of all options. The user will
> have to manage that hierarchy yourself, and writing file manipulation
> tools is not what I have in mind: that's what you have the Finder for.

In its original form, the "tex wrapper" was what you recommend against
above - every file contained within. The thing about them is that they
decompose naturally - if you don't want your tex folder to be a wrapper
(I prefer the term "bundle"), delete its extension. It would allow
simple documents to be expressed in a single file - possibly a great
convenience to TeX newcomers.

But you are no doubt correct; at some stage of document complexity
you'd be unable to handle it with the frontend. But as more features
are added to the frontend, more complex structures would be allowed. I
think the whole "project" has been bogged down by too broad ideas from
the outset. Start off simple, and grow the program as necessary.

> IIUTC: the tex wrapper idea is just to combine several configuration
> files in one (standardised) location, and have no configuration
> information in the source file.

What configuration files? All that is required is a single XML file
with some properly defined schema for:
  - File encoding
  - Intended typesetting script
  - Master file
  - Daughter files (I can see a possible advantage, but not strictly
necessary)

Is there even anything else required?
It's a pity Gerben's on holidays, or he could open up the TeX wrapper
list again.

Will
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>