[OS X TeX] Sente - New bibliographic app

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri Sep 10 09:07:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

Le Vendredi, 10 sept 2004, à 02:00 Europe/Paris, TeX on Mac OS X
Mailing List a écrit :

> Simon Spiegel wrote:
>
>> I just stumbled across this yesterday and it looks quite interesting.
>> Sente ( http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/index.cgi?page=introduction
>> ) is an app for retrieiving all kind of online bibliographic data. It
>> can access Pubmed, LoC, z39.50 servers and probably. You can create
>> quite elaborate filters and it automatically updates your searches. It
>> exports to BibTeX and EndNote. Unfortunately it's not free.
>
> Its a nice app. I'm thinking of buying it after some encouraging
> exchanges with the developer. Exporting BibTeX to BibDesk is a bit
> clunky (goes via an intermediate text file), but it works. Adding (in
> the case of Sente) and improving (in the case of BibDesk) AppleScript
> support could vastly improve the utility of both apps.
>
> BTW is anyone using Bookends and ReferenceMiner ? If so, any gotchas
> wrt BibTeX ?
>
> mark.

About 8 months ago I switched from EndNote to Bookends because EndNote
was becoming to Windows centric in my view. I cannot comment much on
Bookends usefulness to the TeX world because I am very much a beginner
to TeX. But I think the idea is to use Bookends with your LaTeX
documents just as you would use it (or EndNote) with a Word or rtf
document: you use its method of inserting citations, and it will
produce a copy of your document with the inline citations inserted and
a bibliography at the end. It can also accept TeX style citations
(\cite or whatever you decide, but only one is possible in a given
document) instead of its own, but in the present version you would lose
the ability to have the citations formatted inside or outside
parenthesis if you don't stick to its own citation mechanism, at the
cost of portability. The author is very responsive though, and in a
next revision will allow the use of 2 citations strings of your choice,
for instance \citep and \citet, to fulfill that need. But my
understanding is that it will not produce a file containing your
citations that can be further manipulated with BibTex etc. This could
be good for a beginner as it is much easier to define a new
bibliography formatting style in Bookends than in programming. You can
also take advantage of Bookends list of Journals and their
abbreviations to switch from full journal titles to abbreviations
according to you needs. I think you use macros to do this in TeX, but I
have not reached this level of TeX-maturity yet.

I did not have time to experiment much and these conclusions could be
due to my ignorance.  Again the author is very open to suggestions.

Denis Chabot

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>