[OS X TeX] Synchronizing Documents

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Tue Sep 7 16:26:22 CEST 2004

Le 7 sept. 04, à 15:49, Rick Zaccone a écrit :

> Like many others I have experiencing problems with synching my
> formatted document and my original .tex file.  This has made me
> nostalgic for the Textures implementation of synchronicity.  It was
> accurate to the character that you clicked on, and it always worked.

Hum, not so sure.
synchronicity is far better than pdfsync, which in turn is better than
-src-special pdftex option

Please don't blame pdfsync, just because you experienced problems with
TeXShop.
There might still be some lack in TeXShop's implementation of pdfsync
support.

> This raises some fundamental questions.  Is the pdfsync approach the
> wrong way to go?  How did the folks at Blue Sky accomplish
> synchronicity?  What would it take to add something like synchronicity
> to TeXShop?

Opening a pdf file with a raw text editor may certainly convince
everyone that the answer cannot be trivial.

But without going as far as syncronicity, a very very big improvement
would be to integrate pdfsync into pdftex itself. I sent a note on that
subject to pdftex author last year, if you send him some mail too he
will probably implement something. I think he was reluctant to spend
time for this kind of feature due to the minority of the pdftex users
concerned. But, pdfsync support can be added to xpdf too, such that
unix users will be interested with pdfsync inside pdftex too.

What I suggest is:

- every unix user sends a mail to the author of xpdf asking for support
of pdfsync
- then everyone asks pdftex author to imbed pdfsync into pdftex

Then within a couple of years, we have a much stronger sync.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>