[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package released

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Oct 23 17:55:03 CEST 2004

Le 23 oct. 04, à 14:08, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> Installing from the  i-installer works, but I get this error now:
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/url/url.sty
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.41   \Url at OTnonTT
> [...]
> I used to have this before, I then deleted url.sty in my local tree
> and everything worked. I don't have url.sty in my local tree now.

It turns out the most recent version of url.sty contains non-ASCII
characters in Mac OS Roman encoding, which XeTeX does not understand.
Jonathan Kew (the author of XeTeX) is aware of the issue, I think he
won't mind if I paste here his answer on this problem, which arose
during beta testing:

>> If I understood correctly, XeTeX reads files expecting UT-8 encoding
>> and hence doesn't understand the Mac OS Roman stuff here.
>
> Right. XeTeX reads all input files as Unicode (normally UTF-8, though
> it also reads UTF-16 if you happen to have text in that form). These
> bytes > 127 are therefore interpreted as the initial bytes of
> multi-byte UTF-8 sequences, which is certainly not going to work as
> desired.
>
> Strictly speaking, XeTeX should probably stop with an error message "!
> Malformed UTF-8 input" here, but currently it carries on anyway.
>
> One thing on my "to-do" list is to allow you to set different input
> file encodings for XeTeX, and have the text mapped into Unicode as it
> is read. So you'd be able to load a package like this by setting the
> input encoding to MacRoman (or whatever) first.
>
> (Some standard hyphenation files similarly use 8-bit encodings, which
> is why I had to modify them to make them loadable in XeTeX.)

What you may try for now is convert a copy of url.sty to Unicode
encoding, and put that copy at the appropriate place inside
~/Library/texmf/ or /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ (then run
mktexlsr in the second case).

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>