[OS X TeX] Modifying bst files

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Oct 21 23:38:46 CEST 2004

Hi,

There are not many bst files ready-made for biological journals, or at
least I have not found many.

I found that "apalike" was not too far from what I needed (Canadian
Journal of Zoology). I found out how to modify it to stop some of the
capital letters in my titles from becoming small letters (example
straight out of the LaTeX Companion). But I need more help.

For instance references in text are like (Chabot, 2004) or (Claireaux
and Couturier, 2004). I need to remove the comma  between the name of
the last author and the date.

I tried (but did not explore) makebst, but all questions about authors
and punctuation seemed to be about the formatted bibliography, not the
in text citations. Maybe I did this too quickly. There were other
problems as well, all questions about editors presented by with
variants of "editor" with or without punctuation or parentheses. For
that journal I don't want the word editor after the editor(s)' names,
but I need "Edited by" before their names!

I would really appreciate if somebody could show me (off list if it is
long) how to edit a bst file such as apalike or make a new one with
makebst which would meet the above requirements.

Of course, if you know of a bst file for that journal already made...

Sincerely,

Denis Chabot

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>