[OS X TeX] TextMate text editor

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Oct 20 12:24:04 CEST 2004

Am 20.10.2004 um 08:33 schrieb Thomas Gustafsson:

> Hi list,
>
> I have been searching for a text editor for doing LaTeX editing. [...]
> The thing is that I write a paragraph of text as a long line in the
> text editor. This has complications in some text editors. In emacs
> there is no soft wrapping and I have not found any elisp code for
> moving the cursor only visible lines.

Put the variable truncate-lines to nil:

truncate-lines's value is nil
Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.

*Non-nil means do not display continuation lines.
Instead, give each line of text just one screen line.

Note that this is overridden by the variable
`truncate-partial-width-windows' if that variable is non-nil
and this buffer is not full-frame width.

You can customize this variable.  -- Many modes set this variable to
't: array, bookmark, gnus, man, reftex ...

And spend a day or two in the customize menu! With non-nil
truncate-lines a line is soft-wrapped at the right by inserting a \ and
continuing the next on the next few lines (excerpt from emacs running
in Terminal):

     \begin{itemize}
       \item der Kopfhörer synchronisiert gar nicht, hat gar keinen
Empfang;
       \item es gibt Zeiträume, in denen das Empfangene mit wenigen
Hertz regelrecht zerhackt wird, \
je etwa 50\% der Zeit Geräusch des Gesendeten oder Ruhe;
       \item in Sendepausen beim Wechsel der CD oder Umdrehen der LP
sind leise Plopp-Töne zu verneh\
men.
%%      \item
%%      \item
     \end{itemize}

truncate-partial-width-windows should be left true: it's easier then to
position two buffers side by side and comparing them (at least for me).

As a start I can send you privately my .emacs or mac-emacs file from
Carbon-Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete