[OS X TeX] benchmarking TeX - need example file

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 19 20:02:06 CEST 2004

On 19 okt 2004, at 18:38, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

>> Just an FYI: using "time latex hochhaus2.tex" in Terminal I had to
>> wait exactly one and a half minutes (G4/733) until the operation
>> finished.
>
> One drawback of this method is that so many messages are written to
> the terminal window.

or use
     time latex hochhaus2.tex > /dev/null
as that will redirect the latex output to /dev/null (i.e. the
bitbucket), and still print the output of time in the terminal -- since
time writes to sdterr. It also eliminates the overhead of the terminal
itself (although that overhead is reported separately).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>