[OS X TeX] CGI TeX processing

Jan Eden lists at janeden.org
Mon Oct 18 22:40:05 CEST 2004

Hi Peter,

thanks for your help.

Peter Dyballa wrote on 18.10.2004:

>Hello Jan!
>
>I am sure I did not read README.howtexfindsfiles, at least not
>completely.

Well, I did, but too late (see my second post).

>I presume that $HOMETEXMF points to the tree where you
>start to save your (La)TeX documents. If you set $TEXMF to your
>documents' home than (la)tex won't find any formats, styles,
>classes. I think you should set HOMETEXMF to the home of of your
>private documents' realm and set TEXMF to the directory where the
>TeX *distribution* actually starts, probably at /usr/local/tex or
>/usr/local/teTeX.

Right. If I leave the environment variables alone (as Gerben suggested in his reply), pdflatex finds everything in the usual tex tree - expect for my own ~/Library/texmf.

I suspected this is because the script is run by the webserver user, and HOMETEXMF is set to $HOME/Library/texmf in /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf.

Since $HOME is not /Users/jan for that user, the files cannot be found. So my idea (as described in my second post) was to hardcode /User/jan/Library/texmf into texmf.cnf.

That did not help, though.

>My opinion is, when TeX sees $TEXMF it looks into $TEXMF/texmf.cnf
>and now feels configured, everything should work and be found,
>provided texhash and updmap are not needed to record recent changes.
>Since the $HOMETEXMF tree is not kept in a "hash" file there is only
>the need either to set the working directory (".") to $HOMETEXMF or
>to add this component to the TEXMF over-all search path. Then it
>should work!
>
>The configuration is done through these:
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 pete  admin   1958 13 Nov  2001
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx/texmf.cnf
>-rw-r--r--  1 pete  admin  19017 26 Jan  2002
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  admin     28 13 Okt 10:56
>/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf -> share/texmf.macosx/texmf.cnf
>
>I think the last one is the real important one at runtime,
>....web2c/texmf.cnf is needed to make formats and the rest of TeX.

Right, but strangely enough, texmf.cnf is obviously read - except for my HOMETEXMF.

Clueless,

Jan
--
These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others. - Groucho Marx
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>